The Back to the Roots aquafarm/water garden fish tank is a low-maintenance counter-top aquaponic system. Its small, clear design would blend in to any room of your house, providing a healthy environment for your fish and a great way to grow sprouts, herbs, and vegetables indoors. This kit comes with everything you need to start a self-contained, organic ecosystem in minutes. A pump within the tank carries fish waste through to the vegetation, fertilizing your plants and keeping the tank clean. Simply feed your fish daily and watch your plants sprout to life!
Type of Aquaponic System
The ultra-compact Back to the Roots aquafarm features a small 3-gallon tank and measures just 13.3 x 9.4 x 13.3 inches (regular) or 13.4 x 13.4 x 9.5-inches (delux). Designed to fit comfortably on any countertop or table, it’s suitable for children and adults alike. Use this indoor system in a sunny corner of your kitchen or in the classroom to help engage students in the important study of science and nature.
What’s Included in the Back to the Roots Aquafarm
Everything you need to get started (except the fish) is included with your kit:
✓ 3-Gallon Fish Tank
✓ Grow Rocks
✓ 5 Grow Cups
✓ All Natural Fish Food
✓ Water Conditioners
✓ Water Pump and Foam Pump Pad
✓ Organic Seeds
✓ Coupon for a Betta Fish
The company has really thought of everything with this inclusive kit. The 3-gallon tank is only large enough for one fish, and a betta is the perfect choice, so there is a coupon to help you get started. Some people like adding shrimp or snails to help keep algae to a minimum, too, so keep this in mind while you’re at the pet store.
Setting Up the Back to the Roots Aquafarm
Some aquaponic systems can be intimidating to set up, but not the Back to the Roots Water Garden Fish Tank. It’s simple design makes it easy for beginners and children to start growing their own organic vegetables and herbs without any prior aquaponics knowledge. Here’s how to get started:
- Rinse the included gravel thoroughly. While this system comes with gravel, you may need more depending on how you’d like it to look and how many accessories you have. Be sure to rinse accessories, too, and to remove any stickers. Fill the tank with gravel and accessories.
- Install the pump on the side of the tank with an indent in the lip. There should be 1-2 inches between the mouth of the pump and the gravel.
- Fill the tank with water and condition the water with the included conditioners. Next, climatize your fish by submerging it in tank water in a bag or cup for 15 minutes. This ensures your fish won’t go into shock from the temperature change. Release your fish into the clean, conditioned tank after 15 minutes.
- Thread the pump and wire up through the grow bed. Secure the grow bed to the top of the tank, then insert the 5 grow cups.
- Fill the cups with the included grow rocks. Finally, sprinkle a pinch of organic seeds over the rocks in each cup. Now you’re ready to sit back and watch your mini-ecosystem grow!It’s really that simple, and takes most people less than an hour to completely set up. After that, maintenance is minimal, requiring only that you feed your fish 1-3 times a day. Be sure not to overfeed your fish, as this can lead to dirty water and algae. A snail is the perfect solution for the occasional bout of algae, especially if your tank sees a lot of sun.
✓ Ultra-compact, can fit almost anywhere
✓ Takes under an hour to set up with almost no maintenance thereafter
✓ Comes complete with everything you need to get started
• Can only hold one fish comfortably
• Enclosed system can be difficult to clean
Back to the Roots Water Garden$59.98
Ease of Use10.0/10
Instructions / Support10.0/10
- Ultra-compact, ideal for countertop
- Easy to set up - set up in under an hour
- Comes complete with everything you need to get the system running, including a coupon for the fish
- Can only accommodate one fish
- Small system limits produce you can grow
- Not expandable, but you can always get an additional system