The ECO-Cycle Aquaponics Kit with Dual T5 Grow Light is a unique plug-n-play indoor aquaponics system that enables anybody to easily grow organic food or ornamental plants at home, in the office, or in the classroom. This self-contained aquaponics kit is ideal for any indoor space, and will quickly transform an aquarium full of fish into a productive food garden. It is perfect for growing herbs; edible crops such as spinach, lettuce, tomatoes or peppers; or to simply grow healthy indoor plants to liven up a room.
With its simple set up and ease of use, the ECO-Cycle kit is quite frankly child’s play. Just feed the fish, who in turn feed the plants, who then repay the favor by filtering the water and returning clean water to the fish tank. Simple!
Type of Aquaponic System
The ECO-Cycle Aquaponics Kit is a micro aquaponics conversion kit that is suitable for indoor, home, office, and classroom use.
The ECO-Cycle Aquaponics Kit is a fantastic classroom tool for teaching kids about biology, ecology, botany, chemistry, nutrient cycling, etc. Kids learn complex scientific concepts through a fun hands-on practical approach, and get to experience the wonders of nature first hand. Set the system up on a classroom table or a metal tank stand and watch their enthusiasm grow as the seeds sprout and develop into healthy plants before their eyes. The supplier offers teacher support by providing STEM K-12 curriculum on request.
Whats Included in the ECO-Cycle Aquaponics Kit
The ECO-Cycle Aquaponics kit contains all the equipment you will need to transform a 12×24 inch, 20 or 29 Gallon Glass Aquarium Tank into a flourishing ecosystem producing healthy organic herbs, food or decorative plants. The lighting system consists of both LEDs which are effective for lighting the aquarium, and fluorescent grow lights to encourage plant growth.
The kit includes:
✓ Pump + pump post
✓ Bio-filter, sponge filter, + filter cover
✓ Light rack
✓ 2 x Chains to hang grow lights (adjustable height)
✓ Fluorescent T5 grow lights
✓ LED aquarium light + LED power adapter
✓ Clay grow media
✓ Grow tray consisting of net pot holder, 13 individual net pots, + tray door
✓ Clear step-by-step setup instruction manual
You will need to supply the aquarium, aquarium gravel, fish and plant seeds, which are not included in the kit; then simply add water (and the fish) to the system, and viola — sit back and let nature do it’s thing.
Setting up the ECO-Cycle Aquaponics Kit
The ECO-Cycle Aquaponics Kit is very simple to set up. The most difficult part is finding a suitable aquarium with a footprint of 12×24 inches. Once set up, the system will typically start producing healthy plants within 3 weeks.
Watch a YouTube video of the easy setup below:
• Water: Condition the water to remove chlorine and other contaminants before adding fish, or use distilled water.
• Fish: Once the water is ready, introduce your fish. Goldfish or guppies are great choices as they are hardy and don’t mind cold water. Start off with just a few fish — 2 goldfish will suffice to start.
• Algae: To prevent algae buildup, limit the amount of light penetrating the aquarium. If the tank is set up in a well-lit environment such as a classroom, cover the glass with black paper, black plastic, or something more aesthetically pleasing. To limit algae growth, the LED aquarium lights and grow lights should only be on for 12-16 hours each day. If algae continues to be a challenge in the aquarium, consider adding algae eating fish such as Plecostomus to the tank.
ECO-Cycle Aquaponics Kit Rating
Ease of Use10.0/10
Instructions / Support10.0/10
- Top class service and support
- Clear instructions
- Simple setup
- Compact System for Indoor use
- STEM K-12 curriculum provided
- A bit on the small side
- Not readily expandable
- May require additional filtration initially
- Not suitable for outdoor use